Love Like Harley
Join us as we Love Like Harley! Throughout February and March we will be doing our part to raise awareness of Puppy Mills.
What are puppy mills?
The term "Puppy Mills" is used to refer to commercial dog breeding facilities where dogs are kept in cages and bred repeatedly. There are estimated to be more than 10,000 of these facilities in the USA, each one housing from 100-800 breeding dogs. One third of these facilities are approved licensed by the USDA, due the fact that dogs are legally classified as "live-stock." Read more about the conditions commonly found in Puppy Mills.
What is Harley's Dream?
Harley's Dream is using awareness, education and advocacy to shine a light on the cruelties of the commercial dog breeding industry. Using a grassroots approach, they encourage change by providing the tools to promote advocacy and education. In addition, Harley's House of Hope is a designated fund that specifically supports the medical needs and rehoming of senior dogs. Harley's Dream is a 501c non-profit organization. Read the entire mission statement at https://harleysdream.org/mission-statement
Who is Harley?
Harley spent the first 10 years of his life in a cage of a puppy mill and miraculously found his way into the loving home of Rudi and Dan Taylor. They immediately saw his kindness and charisma, this little dog with a big heart spent the following years as a "spokesdog" of a campaign to end puppy mills. He was named the 2015 American Humane Association American Hero Dog. Harley's Dream was founded in 2016 in Harley's memory. Learn more about Harley's incredible story and join more than 140,000 others and like him on facebook.
We were lucky enough to learn about Harley and his crusade against puppy mills when he chose Dr. Heaney and Petcardia to treat his heart disease in 2015. Throughout March, Petcardia will donate a portion of our proceeds* to Harley's Dream.
How can I help?
- Share your heart with an adopted pet! By adopting instead of shopping, you give a home to an unwanted pet. You also decrease the demand for puppy mill dogs.
- Spread the Word. Talk to friends and family about the ills of puppy mills.
- Love the breed. Puppy mill breeders are not concerned about the overall needs of the dogs or the breed. Before you buy, find a reputable breeder. The best breeders care for the parents, and ensure they have met all of their health clearances.
- Write to your legislator. Harley's dream is trying to make a difference through legislative action, you can help! Use this letter to get started. Tell you representative to get off the sidelines and to help end puppy mills!
- Visit the Love Like Harley web-page for Valentine's Day inspired ideas.
- Donate to Harley's Dream or purchase Harley's Dream merchandise.
- Schedule your dog for a new cardiac consultation with Petcardia. We are donating a portion of our proceeds* Harley's Dream in March. You can help end puppy mills, while checking out that heart murmur.
*$25 from every full price new consult will be donated to Harley's Dream